Our mission is to enable the citizens of Calgary to have the best public library in the world.
We are a passionate group of non-profit professionals who have been inspired by the innovative programs and services our library system offers. With our unique talents, we are exemplary advocates for the Calgary Public Library to ensure library users will continue to receive life changing programs and services for generations to come.
Check this page often for job postings to join our team.
Engagement Ambassadors - Summer Position
The Calgary Public Library Foundation is looking for two enthusiastic individuals to join us for the summer to represent us at various outreach events and to assist with day-to-day administrative activities in the Foundation offices, located in the new Central Library.
At the Calgary Public Library Foundation, our vision is to create the best public library in the world for Calgarians. We believe this is possible through Add In, the Campaign for Calgary’s Library. Our Engagement Ambassadors play a key role in the success of this campaign. The Add In campaign builds capacity for every community library and includes projects with a strong impact for Library patrons.
The Engagement Ambassadors will educate the public about the work of the Calgary Public Library Foundation. They will represent the Foundation at public-facing events, including street markets and festivals, pop-up shops with our Library Store in Calgary’s new Central Library and offer tours of the building to current and prospective donors. They will oversee the inventory, marketing and fulfillment of orders placed on LibraryStore.ca – the Library Foundation’s online social enterprise. They will provide logistics support in co-ordinating major events and activities in community libraries, including playing a key role in our annual book drive.
With a small and mighty team, the students will have the opportunity to experience many facets of the non-profit industry as they support on administrative activities across the organization. Every effort will be made to allow Engagement Ambassadors to receive mentorship in areas of the Foundation that relate to their area of study.
If you are comfortable interacting with people, are an approachable communicator and have a background or are studying marketing, events, public relations or communications, this is the job for you.
Approximately 30-35 hours per week from May 1 – August 31, 2019.
As this position is partially funded by a grant from the Alberta Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP), applicants must:
- Be at least 15 years of age
- Have attended a high school or a post-secondary institution in the 2018-19 Academic Year and be returning to high school or post-secondary no later than November 1, 2019
- Be an Alberta resident with an Alberta address and living and/or attending school in the province; and
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person under the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. International Students and Temporary Foreign Workers are not eligible for the program.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Face-to-face fundraising and sales with our mobile Library Store
- Solicit donations through community activities, at events and street festivals across the city
- Engage and educate the public about the work of the Calgary Public Library and the Calgary Public Library Foundation
- Inspire people to support the Calgary Public Library Foundation as regular and monthly donors
- Fulfill Library Store orders in a timely and professional manner, providing exceptional customer service online and over the phone
- Assist with key events organized by the Calgary Public Library Foundation including our summer Locked Library event (July 26), the 2019 International Public Library Fundraising Conference hosted at the new Central Library (July 28-30) and our Annual Book Drive (July 20)
- Assist all members of the Library Foundation team with administrative activities as required
- Promote a professional image of the Calgary Public Library Foundation
- Excellent communication skills
- Enthusiastic to learn about fundraising and creating a culture of philanthropy
- Have a passion for the work of the Calgary Public Library
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated
- Confident in a fundraising interaction, and proud to ask for support for the Calgary Public Library Foundation
- Responsible, reliable and punctual, demonstrating maturity to work without supervision
- Sales experience an asset
- Valid Driver’s licence and access to a vehicle
Comprehensive training will be provided. Continuous access to training resources, methods and support will be provided on an ongoing basis during your time here. Engagement Ambassadors will have a weekly meeting with their supervisor to provide feedback and discuss challenges and successes.
Hours and Pay
- 30 – 35 hours/week: Weekend and evening work required (you will not be working regular business hours)
- $15.75 per hour
Please apply by:
- Providing your COVER LETTER and RESUME
- Include two references
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application deadline: Sunday, April 14