- classic titles, older best sellers and popular fiction of enduring interest
- local materials about Calgary and Southern Alberta
- books that have been published or purchased within the past 5 years
- popular, current paperbacks
- CDs and DVDs
We are unable to accept the following items:
- materials that are worn, torn, underlined, highlighted, dusty, dirty, mouldy or in otherwise poor condition
- encyclopedias, computer books and manuals, Readers Digest condensed books, colouring books, workbooks, blank page journals
- previously sold Library material
- records, cassette or VHS tapes
The Library will accept books at a time at any branch, or at the Foundation’s Office on the second floor of the Memorial Park Library (1221 â€“ 2 St SW) between noon and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. If you have potential donations that fall outside the guidelines (including donations in languages other than English, please contact the Library Foundation at 403-221-2002.
The Library Foundation works with BetterWorld Books to provide an avenue for selling donated materials. BetterWorld has partnered with more than 2,000 libraries in North America to list books online in marketplaces like Amazon. Betterworld Books picks up all the books from libraries and ensures they find new homes.
If you have any questions about donating books or materials, please call the Calgary Public Library Foundation at 403-221-2002.
Donating Valuable Books to the Calgary Public Library Foundation
Tax receipts can be issued for the donation of books of significant value. Please make these donations through the Calgary Public Library Foundation.
In order for the Calgary Public Library Foundation to issue a tax receipt, please remember that:
- The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (Revenue Canada) requires that the item be appraised, in writing, by an independent, recognized expert.
- The donor is responsible for arranging the appraisal of the item, and for any fees involved in that appraisal. If the item is accepted by the Calgary Public Library Foundation, those fees may be included as part of the donation value.
To arrange for your donation of a valuable book or item, please call us at 403-221-2002.